16 March 2006

As long as I have the space...

March 24, 2016: I originally posted this a little more than ten years ago (March 16, 2006) on a MySpace blog. It wasn't a site I used often—only three posts, then I sort of stopped. MySpace has changed a lot since then, from a sort of a sleazy alternative to Facebook to some sort of music site. Anyway, the blog feature is going away, but they were kind enough to offer folks the opportunity to download old blog entries before they turn off the lights. I grabbed those three old posts and, for the sake of keeping like things together, I'm moving them over here and dropping them in among my older posts where the originally would have appeared.

So, another blog space. 

I've been posting stuff over on Blogger from time to time, not necessarily because I'm trying to disseminate it publicly, but because it seems like my memory is getting a little dicey as I blow past 50, and I kind of appreciate the opportunity to use these online spaces as a kind of external memory, for reminiscing and recollecting stuff that I'm probably otherwise going to forget.

Before my old pal and running buddy Jim Crea died back in 1997, I told him he needed to work a little harder at staying alive, if for no other reason than because if he didn't, there was an awful lot of stuff that we did when we were younger and that we went through over the years that only I'd remember. 

And the problem with that was that I knew there'd come a time when I'd be thinking things like, "Did we really do that?" or worse yet, when I'd start forgetting things wholesale. And if no one remembers something, did it ever actually happen?

Anyway, there's also a chance that someone I knew back home might run across this and get in touch with me, and as I get older that starts to seem like it might be a good thing. (This from a guy who's never attended a class reunion.)

It's kind of irritating that when you join something like Classmates.com and you give them your info, but they don't really give you much in return. While they compile a big database of names and contact info, you don't get access to it unless you pay them. And there are already enough people with their hands in my pocket.

So even though MySpace.com smells suspiciously like a singles bar in a bad part of town, the space is here, no one has to pay to look around, and you never know who might wander in. 

Which means I'll post here occasionally and if someone who knows (or knew) me blunders across my recollections and says, "Hey, that's not how that happened," maybe they can help straighten me out before I turn into one of those intransigent old guys who "remembers" a reality that never occurred. Or not. Who knows?

Anyway, the main blog is over at http://studio1050.blogspot.com/
There's no particular plan or reason for what I post or when, but  that's also the model by which I've lived a lot of my life: let's see what happens and where inspiration takes me next.

No comments: